Sunday, May 10, 2009

Squirrel Crazy


Whenever I mention to anyone there are squirrels in my parents’ neighborhood in Makati, I always get the “Are you nuts?” look. It’s such an amazing thing, that I wanted to share it with everyone, so I set out to get proof. One sunny afternoon after arriving at my folks’ house, I could hear strange noises coming from the mango tree out back. Imagine scurrying sounds coupled with succinct chihuahua-like barking, almost like squeaking. I run outside, and up in the tree are two squirrels engaged in some sort of mating dance (yes, I watch Animal Planet a lot). I figured that the “barking” was the male trying to woo the female.
I told myself that this was my moment to get the proof I needed to show everyone I wasn’t nuts. The camera was an ancient 1.3MP Sony Cybershot but in perfect working condition. I tried several angles and zoomed in several times, but to no avail...it seemed the little critter knew he was being observed.
So what you see here is the best shot I captured that afternoon. But make no mistake, this isn’t a lochness monster-sasquatch kind of scenario...the animals do exist.
My friends and I have come up with several theories on how non-indigenous squirrels make it to a tropical Southeast Asian country and thrive, but as of now...your guess is as good as ours.

No comments: